Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sweet Home Alabama, Part I

Our first stop was to spend a girl's weekend in Orange Beach, AL with Lisa's oldest friends- this is in no way a testament to their youth or hotness. Leslie's family was kind enough to let us all stay in their lovely (and monkey-themed, much to my pleasure) condo that overlooked a beautiful marina where we watched boats and barges sail in and out.
Sunshine, girl talk and seafood were chiefly what took up our time, but I did learn a new skill- how to make melon jello shooters in jumbo hospital syringes. They are very utilitarian and surprisingly tasty! We also engaged in an experience that I hear all red blooded Americans (operative word being red) ought to- visiting the Flora-Bama, an establishment that straddles the state line. This post Katrina ramshackle beach bar is little more than some tents, some 2 by 4's and ever flowing libations. We enjoyed the signature Bushwacker, but the people watching was really the most sublime. On the second night we enjoyed a few other similar establishments (one with an entertaining cover band called the Tip Tops), but our hearts belong to the Flor-Bama.











2 comments:

  1. love this site!!! ya'll look like you are having so much fun!!! love those bushwackers!!! can't wait for memphis!!! xxxooo jojo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo jealous! I love melon but leave it to Alabamy folks to do it in a syringe. I prefer crystal shot glasses! This is super keeping up with you. We had three days at the lake...Hershey fell in and I went in after her twice...my normal bruises and scrapes are true to my nature but you know me and my dogs! Headed to Charlotte tomorrow for Jonathan's graduation...got him a watch....have done a little shopping, grilling, resting, and about 7 hours of boat riding...my kind of summer. I will check on you girls each day. Have a wonderful time but beware of the crazies out there and come home safely. Keep sending the pics! Love you both!!!!!

    ReplyDelete