Tuesday, June 9, 2009

CarlsBADA**

The drive from Austin to Carlsbad was both long and lovely. The landscape was something unlike we had ever seen before. More than that, the variety of wildlife that crossed our path (quite literally, while traveling at high speeds) was quite impressive. Along one very long stretch of backroad highway, a squirrel, an armadillo, a coyote and a very dense dog caused me to hit the breaks quite suddenly. But it was the enormous cow running towards us right in the middle of the road that was truly the most notable. At some point the sunset was so breathtaking I found it necessary to exit the car to capture a photo. Soon after, I was covered in no less than 25 mosquitoes who followed me back into the car and with whom I fought a very serious interior battle for the remainder of the evening. An amazing lightning storm followed, and I felt it was akin to a Stone Mountain lazer show, though I've not actually attended one.
We arrived in Carlsbad in time to check into our 5 star hotel, the Super 8, and get some sleep. My much needed snooze was greatly hindered by the overly caffeinated beverage I consumed on the road in the name of alertness- in other words, I imbibed liquid trucker crack and it worked like a charm.
In the morning, we rushed off to Carlsbad Caverns and proceeded to be blown away by the natural wonder. WOW. WOW. We hiked about 3 miles, 750 feet underground, and were privy to some indescribable geological delights. The repeated stalagtites, stalagmites, columns, popcorn and drapery of the caverns were a photographers dream- too bad I barely know the abilities of my camera, but I did my best.




















No comments:

Post a Comment